Monday, May 25, 2015

Calming Sounds




Calming Sounds

                   

The link



Calm app on iTunes

The XX – “Intro”, 4 hour YouTube Loop


What it is


Calm.com is a website with relaxing background sounds and visuals. You can change the setting with the button in the lower right; I personally prefer the ‘rain’ one (1st  row, middle button). Calm also has free Android and iTunes apps, with paid ‘guided mediations’ (which I’ve never used).

The final link is a different take on the same idea – a 4 hour loop of “Intro” by English band the XX. “Intro” is that song you now from at least three video montages. This YouTube clip repeats it for four hours.

What it means to me


I have found out recently that I’m quite fussy about my work space. I currently work in an open office with flexible seating, and realized a while ago that all the noise and commotion around me was hurting my ability to actual get things done badly.

My typical workday involves between two and four meetings, which has two consequences: I context switch more than I like, and time to get actual work done comes at a premium. More and more, the (limited) hours at my desk were slowly eaten away by distractions.

To combat this, I moved to a quieter area and dusted off my headphones.

Listening to music while you work brings its own set of problems. I can be quite fussy about what I want to hear, and spend time and attention switching songs, finding albums and other such nonsense. Pressing ‘NEXT’ every couple of minutes doesn’t really help one’s context switching problem! Music with lyrics is also distracting when I try to write text.

Enter calm.com. This website has gentle sounds you can play in the background and forget about 20 seconds later. It’s high quality white noise to drown out everyone else. Which is probably why  love the ‘rain’ one so much: nice constant sound, no bird calls.

I find it interesting that the way I use Calm seems to be very different from what the creators intended. The website and app emphasize taking a break, and looking at the visuals; they also have guided meditations. The first time I ran the app, I was really confused why this soothing sound wouldn’t play in the background when I was reading e-mail on my phone!

What calm is for relaxed thinking and writing, “Intro” by The XX is for ‘deadline is looming’ situations. Listening to “Intro” on repeat automatically makes whatever you’re doing cooler, even if it’s as stereotypically uncool as updating status Excel sheets. It’s also perfect ‘setting your mind’ music when you already know what you need to do, and how to do it, and just need to get started.

Put it on. Zone out. Get work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment